Why have your soup and salad separately when you can enjoy the delicate flavor of romaine in this silky soup?
Provided by Food Network Kitchen
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour, onion, 1 3/4 teaspoons salt and a couple turns of pepper and cook until the onion is softened, about 6 minutes. Whisk in the milk and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the lettuce and cook, turning with tongs, until bright green, about 1 minute. Working in batches, blend the soup until smooth; return it to the pot to heat through and thin with milk or water as desired. Serve topped with shredded romaine.
- Disclaimer: When blending hot liquid, first let it cool for 5 minutes or so, then transfer it to a blender, filling only halfway. Put the lid on, leaving one corner open. Cover the lid with a kitchen towel to catch splatters and pulse until smooth.
ROMAINE LETTUCE SOUP
- In a heavy stockpot, over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Saute the onions with the salt and pepper until translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic, tomatillo and jalapeno(s) and cook another 5 minutes. Pour in the chicken stock or water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook 20 minutes. Stir in the lettuce and cook 10 minutes longer. Add the cilantro to the soup and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat, and puree in a blender or food processor. If you want a more elegant soup, pass through a strainer. Bring back to a boil before serving. Beat 1 cup of the heavy cream until soft peaks form. In a small bowl, mix the anchovy paste with the remaining 2 tablespoons cream until smooth. Fold into the whipped cream and beat a few more strokes. Serve the soup hot with dollops of the anchovy cream garnish.
An easy Lettuce Soup recipe. This soup is a great way to use lettuce's outer leaves and ribs, which usually go to waste. Any kind of potato and any salad greens, including lettuce, arugula, spinach, and watercress, will work fine.
Categories Soup/Stew Leafy Green Potato Vegetarian Quick & Easy Summer Gourmet
Yield Makes 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Cook onion mixture and garlic in 2 tablespoons butter in a 4- to 5-quart heavy pot over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add coriander, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in potato, lettuce, and water and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, until potato is very tender, about 10 minutes.
- Purée soup in batches in a blender (use caution when blending hot liquids) and transfer to a 2- to 3-quart saucepan. Bring soup to a simmer, then whisk in remaining tablespoon butter and salt and pepper to taste.
EASY LETTUCE SOUP
We made this when our garden overflowed with lettuce and were suprised at how good this was. Don't laugh... I think this recipe was from Richard Simmons (though I do think he's super nice!)
Provided by Yogi8
Yield 2-4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Cook onion in butter till soft.
- Add lettuce, then flour, then broth.
- Boil 1 minute, stirring.
- Pour in blender and add milk, salt& pepper, nutmeg, and paprika.
- Blend for a minute, then return to pot and reheat.
- Heat olive oil over medium-low heat in a large saucepan. When hot add the onions and garlic and cook until the onion is translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the parsley, chives, tarragon and lettuce and stir until the lettuce is completely wilted, about 3 minutes. Add the chicken stock and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. When ready to serve, process the soup, in batches, taking care since the soup is hot, then return to a clean saucepan. Stir in the heavy cream or evaporated milk and the salt and pepper and simmer for another 5 minutes, or until heated through. Adjust seasoning, if necessary, and serve immediately, garnished with fresh herbs and chive blossoms, if desired.
This is a soup that my Slovak grandmother used to make when I was a little girl. She used lettuce she would pick fresh out of her garden. I still make this soup every summer and remember her sitting in her kitchen sipping coffee with my mother and aunt. It brings back such fond memories.
Provided by Ursie
Yield 6-8 Large Bowls, 6-8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 6
- In a cast iron skillet (this the best but you can use any type skillet) Fry 2 lb. of bacon (to render fat, but not crisp the bacon).
- Remove bacon from skillet leaving the fat in the pan.
- Allow the fat to brown (slightly).
- For every 2 Tablespoons of browned fat rendered add 2 tablespoons of flour.
- Stirring constantly, brown flour in fat to a deep golden brown.
- Allow to cool slightly so as not to curdle the milk when added.
- Once cooled, add 1 cup of milk for ever 2 tablespoons of flour used.
- Bring to rolling boil stirring constantly.
- Add torn up lettuce and cut up bacon to the browned fat and flour mixture.
- Bring back to a rolling boil, stirring constantly.
- Add eggs to mixture making sure to stir it throughout the soup.
- Reduce heat to low and continue to cook for about 1 hour (until lettuce is cooked down).
- Salt to taste.
- Serve with a crusty French bread.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 735.6, Fat 70, SaturatedFat 23.2, Cholesterol 173.4, Sodium 1317.5, Carbohydrate 4.5, Fiber 1.6, Sugar 1.1, Protein 21.3
CREAM OF LETTUCE SOUP
This is such a delicious soup! It has a lovely consistency and loved by all who I have served it to. This is a real winner! People who have never had it before can't seem to guess whats in it!! Where this recipe calls for Chicken Stock, I use Campbell's Real Stock, and add water. It's so much easier than having to make your own! I usually use 1/2 Chicken and 1/2 Vegetable Stock. If making in advance leave out the beaten egg yolks and scalded cream and add just before re-heating and serving. For the purpose of freezing -leave the beaten egg yolks and scalded cream out until thawed and re-heated.
Provided by Karin...
Categories One Dish Meal
Yield 10-12 cups of Cream Of Lettuce Soup, 4-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Melt the butter in a deep pan.
- Add the onion, garlic, green pepper and tarragon.
- Saute 3-4 minutes.
- Add lettuce and watercress and cook, stirring, for a further 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the stock and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and put through a blender to puree.
- A handheld is ideal for doing this!
- Return to a clean pan, heat, season with salt and pepper and stir in milk.
- Bring to simmering point.
- Beat egg YOLKS in a bowl and gradually beat in the scalded cream until smooth.
- Stir into soup.
- HEAT, but do NOT BOIL!
- Serve garnished with finely chopped parsley and/or spring onions.
ROMANIAN LETTUCE SOUP
Make and share this Romanian Lettuce Soup recipe from Food.com.
Provided by littlemafia
Categories Very Low Carbs
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Cook slowly chopped onion and garlic in oil until soft but not brown.
- Wash lettuce, tear leaves in small pieces, add to cooked onions and cook about 10 more minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, water and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and simmer 5 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat yolk in large serving bowl and add cream.
- Pour soup very slowly, drop by drop, over egg mixture stirring vigorously to prevent curdling.
- Do not cook again. Sprinkle chopped parsley on top.
People also searched
More about "lettuce soup food"
LETTUCE SOUP RECIPE - GREAT BRITISH CHEFS
LETTUCE SOUP | RICARDO
CREAMY LETTUCE SOUP - IT'S EASY TO MAKE …
LETTUCE SOUP (AKA THE MOST AMAZING SOUP EVER!)
LETTUCE SOUP RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
LETTUCE SOUP RECIPE | DELICIOUS. MAGAZINE
LETTUCE SOUP ( EARLY AMERICA ) RECIPE - FOOD.COM
LETTUCE SOUP RECIPE - SIMPLE CHINESE FOOD
LETTUCE SOUP RECIPE | FOOD FROM PORTUGAL
3 EASY RECIPES FOR TASTIEST LETTUCE SOUP - WE HATE TO WASTE
JAMIE OLIVER LETTUCE SOUP - DELISH SIDES
Are you curently on diet or you just want to control your food's nutritions, ingredients? We will help you find recipes by cooking method, nutrition, ingredients...Check it out »
#weeknight #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #occasion #very-low-carbs #soups-stews #eggs-dairy #vegetables #european #summer #eggs #stove-top #czech #dietary #seasonal #low-carb #low-in-something #equipment #4-hours-or-less
You'll also love