WALNUT NUT ROLLS (NUT ROLL)
My mom got the recipe for these from my great aunt Grethel. She always makes them for Christmas and New Year's breakfast but they are good all year round.
Provided by Marg CaymanDesigns
Yield 3-4 12 inch rolls
Number Of Ingredients 17
- Dough: Dissolve yeast in milk with sugar. Add butter, salt, and egg yolks.
- Stirring to mix. Add 2 cups flour and mix well, add remaining flour. Knead 5 minutes.
- Divide dough into 3-4 parts, cover and let rise while preparing filling.
- Filling: Heat all ingredients in a sauce pan until butter melts and sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Roll out each portion of dough to an 1/8 inch thickness in a rectangle shape. Spread an equal amount of filling on each portion on dough. Roll up jelly roll fashion and let raise 15-20 minutes.
- Brush with egg whites before baking. (I accidentally forgot to do this one year and have decided we like it better without the egg wash.) Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.
- Once cool, top with icing, if desired.
- Icing: Cream butter and egg yolk. Then add confectioner's sugar a cup at a time beating on medium speed. Add vanilla and milk 1 Tbls. at a time and beat on high until fluffy.
JOANNA'S NUT ROLL
Homemade nut roll and poppy seed roll that is sweet and moist. These recipes have been passed down from my grandmothers to my mother who combined three into one recipe.
Provided by Sheila
Categories Bread Yeast Bread Recipes
Number Of Ingredients 24
- Heat 2 cups of milk in a saucepan over low heat until the milk just comes to a simmer; remove from heat, and let cool. Mash the cake yeast with the warm water in a bowl, and set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour with 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1 teaspoon of nutmeg. In a separate large bowl, mash the butter with 1 cup of sugar and the salt until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Beat in 2 eggs and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. After milk is cooled to a warm temperature, stir the yeast mixture into the scalded milk, and stir the milk mixture to the creamed butter mixture. Beat in 3 cups of flour until completely incorporated, and beat in remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until the mixture forms a smooth dough that's almost sticky. Dough will be very soft.
- Turn the dough out onto a well-floured work surface, and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Place the dough into an oiled bowl, and turn the dough over to coat all sides with oil. Cover with a floured kitchen towel, and let rise in a warm place until doubled, 2 to 3 hours.
- Punch down the dough, cut into 6 equal pieces, and roll each piece into a ball. Cover with floured kitchen towel, and set the balls into a warm place to rise until doubled, 40 minutes to 1 hour.
- While dough is rising the second time, make the nut filling: tear toasted bread into a few pieces, and grind toast with walnuts and pecans in a food grinder, or process in the work bowl of a food processor until finely chopped. Place the nuts into a bowl; mix in 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, 1 cup of honey, 1/2 cup of sugar, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, and 1 teaspoon of nutmeg until thoroughly combined. Mix in milk, a little at a time, to make a workable mixture.
- Beat egg whites to stiff peaks in a bowl with an electric mixer, and gently fold the egg whites into the nut mixture until completely combined.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll out each piece of dough on a floured surface into a 12-inch square; brush with melted butter. Spread 1/6 of the nut mixture onto each square of dough, and roll each into a log; pinch ends and seam tightly together, and tuck the ends underneath the roll. Place filled rolls on the prepared baking sheet, seam sides down.
- Beat egg yolks and 1/2 cup of milk together in a small bowl, and brush the rolls with the egg yolk mixture. If desired, allow to rise 30 more minutes (for more puffy rolls). Poke holes in the rolls every 4 inches.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, 50 to 65 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the center of a roll will come out clean. Brush rolls with melted butter after removing from oven; allow to cool on racks.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 333.8 calories, Carbohydrate 25 g, Cholesterol 20.6 mg, Fat 24.8 g, Fiber 2.9 g, Protein 7 g, SaturatedFat 3.8 g, Sodium 72.7 mg, Sugar 11.6 g
ROMANIAN NUT ROLL (KIFLA)
Delicious yeast bread with sweet walnut filling. From Bless the Food and Drink of Your Servants, St. Michael Romanian Byzantine Catholic Church 80th Anniversary Cookbook. Aurora, IL, 1988.
Provided by jorie.west
Yield 4 loaves, 16 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Mix ingredients for filling, set aside.
- In another bowl, mix yeast, milk, 1 teaspoon sugar, and vanilla together and set aside for about 10 minutes.
- In a third bowl, mix flour and 1/2 cup sugar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles course crumbs.
- Add eggs, salt and sour cream, then add yeast mixture, mix and knead well until dough is shiny (about 15 minutes).
- Divide into 4 balls. Roll out each ball to about 9" x 13" and spoon 1/4 of the nut filling over each.
- Starting at the narrow end, roll dough into a loaf. Pinch the ends and fold them under. With the seam side down, let loaves rise in greased pan for 2 hours.
- Brush with beaten egg and bake at 350 for 35 to 40 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 595, Fat 34.6, SaturatedFat 11.2, Cholesterol 73.9, Sodium 278.4, Carbohydrate 63.4, Fiber 3.5, Sugar 23.7, Protein 11.5
NUT ROLL AND POPPY SEED ROLL
- Put flour in bowl and crumble yeast into flour. Cut in butter as for pie crust. Mix yolks and sour cream, vanilla (yeast in water if dry is used), and salt. Mix well with flour mixture well. Divide into 4 (6 for smaller rolls) parts and refrigerate in plastic wrap overnight.
- Roll out one piece of dough into rectangle on powdered sugar. Spread 1/2 of one type of filling evenly over rectangle of dough, leaving about 1 1/2 inches around edges. Roll jelly roll fashion and tuck in ends. Brush with beaten egg and bake on greased sheets in a preheated 350-degree F oven for 45 minutes.
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Simmer for 30 minutes. Let cool entirely before using as a filling.
- Mix all ingredients together.
BOHEMIAN NUT ROLL FILLING
An old family hand me down that I love. It is enough for 2 nut rolls. I had to guess on time as most times I haveground nuts in the freezer, and I have never timed it.
Provided by jannie2
Categories Yeast Breads
Yield 2 nut rolls
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Heat sugar. nuts, milk, eggs and salt in edium saucepan.
- Sirring constanly, cook over moderate heat for 10 minutes, or until it thickens.
- Remove from heat, add vanilla and lemon.
- Chill until cool.
- Spread thinly over dough.
- Enough for 2 nut rolls.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 1435.5, Fat 86.5, SaturatedFat 14.9, Cholesterol 237.5, Sodium 725.5, Carbohydrate 153.5, Fiber 5.5, Sugar 144.2, Protein 24.8
This recipe has been handed down for 2 generations. It is great for thanksgiving, christmas and easter. This was my grandmothers recipe. You can also substitute nutfilling for prepared poppy seed filling, (SOLO)
Provided by Jim Tasker
Categories Yeast Breads
Yield 4 nut rolls
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Mix nut filling ingredients until smooth. Use enough canned milk in nut filling so that mixture can be spread over dough. 1 teasp. of vanilla or approx 1 capful.
- Combine: 1/2 cup canned milk.
- 2 tblsp sugar.
- Mix and heat to 110- 115 degrees.
- Add: (2) 1/4 packets of active dry yeast.
- (Note: Heat milk to 110 to 115 degrees. No more than 115 degrees otherwise yeast will not activate).
- When yeast mixture has doubled in size.
- Add: 3 egg yolks (reserve egg whites for filling), 1 egg, 1 cup sour cream, 1 teaspoons salt, 1/2 lb butter softened and 3 tblsp. sugar.
- Gradually blend in the 6 cups of flour to mixture one at a time.
- Mix and cover for 30 minutes.
- Separate dough into 4 parts.
- Roll out 1/4" thick.
- Spread filling over entire surface of dough, roll from smallest end.
- Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and let rise for one (1) hour.
- Poke fork holes on top, 1/2" apart.
- Brush with beaten egg and water (mixed) and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.
- I tried something a little different. I separated the dough into 10 sections and made 10 little loaves of nutroll. Then handed them out during the holidays. Made nice holiday gifts.
This is a combination of two or three old recipes.
Provided by Karren L. Kukral
Categories Desserts Cookies Cut-Out Cookie Recipes
Number Of Ingredients 15
- In a large bowl, mix together 1 cup white sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1 cup melted butter, and 3 eggs. Mix and add 1/2 pint sour cream. Mix together yeast with warm milk and 1 teaspoon sugar. Add to mixture. Add flour. Mix and knead. Divide dough into 7 equal parts.
- To Make Filling: Melt 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons butter. Add 2 cups sugar and stir to dissolve. Add to ground walnuts and mix until coated. Add ground cinnamon and vanilla extract to taste, if desired. Divide filling into 7 equal amounts.
- Roll each dough ball into rectangle. Spread slightly beaten egg white on top of dough. Spread equal amounts of filling on top of each rectangle. Roll in edges and spread edges with egg whites to seal. Then roll length wise. Brush tops with egg whites.
- Bake in a 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) preheated oven for 30 minutes or until lightly brown. Cool. These freeze well.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 500.2 calories, Carbohydrate 41.7 g, Cholesterol 50.5 mg, Fat 35.1 g, Fiber 3.1 g, Protein 9 g, SaturatedFat 10.6 g, Sodium 116.3 mg, Sugar 18.4 g
People also searched
More about "famous inn nut rolls food"
A DELICIOUS OLD WORLD NUT ROLL RECIPE FOR YOUR …
5/5 (1)Total Time 27 minsEstimated Reading Time 5 mins
- Mill (chop) 2 pounds of walnuts – my mom uses an old fashioned nut grinder – I used a food processor or blender
GRANDMA'S NUT ROLL RECIPE - MEATLOAF AND MELODRAMA
5/5 (28)Total Time 2 hrs 15 minsCategory BreadCalories 292 per serving
HOMEMADE NUT ROLL RECIPE - SAVORING THE GOOD®
FAMOUS INN NUT ROLLS | RECIPE | NUT ROLLS, NUT ROLL RECIPE, …
CUT THE ROLL INTO 10 PIECES & GRAB A WOODEN SPOON | NUT ROLLS …
THE 10 BEST RESTAURANTS IN NANAIMO UPDATED JUNE 2023
EASY ONE-RISE SOUR CREAM NUT ROLL RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
KOLACHKI (LITTLE NUT ROLL) | FRIDAY HARBOR HOTELS - TUCKER
IDA'S NUT ROLL GRAVESTONE – REHOVOT, ISRAEL - GASTRO OBSCURA
FAMOUS INN NUT ROLLS - PINTEREST
ONE-BITE CINNAMON WALNUT ROLLS RECIPE | KITCHN
NOTRE MENU | DUNN'S FAMOUS
Are you curently on diet or you just want to control your food's nutritions, ingredients? We will help you find recipes by cooking method, nutrition, ingredients...Check it out »
You'll also love